Published: 18/10/2022
Author: Greg Collins

August 15, 2022, Burlingame, California, USA

According to a recently release report, during 2Q22, the total policy control market (PCRF + PCF) grew 2 percent sequentially—and was down 9 percent versus 2Q21. 5G Policy Control Function (PCF) sales grew over 80 percent year-over-year and accounted for 44 percent of the total market. Eighty-four percent of those PCF revenues coming from Asia Pacific and in particular, China. The year-over-year decline was due to softness in PCRF sales. While the market is at the very early stages of transitioning to PCFs, the PCRF market also continues to transition away from legacy, appliance-based PNFs to virtual and cloud-native network functions. In 2Q22, 64 percent of PCRF session license shipments were of virtual- and cloud-native-based network functions, with the remaining 36 percent destined for legacy, PNF systems. 

The leaders for the combined PCRF and PCF market in 2Q22 were: Huawei, Nokia, Ericsson, Oracle, and ZTE. During the quarter Nokia, ZTE and Cisco gained market share versus 2Q21.

For more information or to purchase the report, please contact: or call +1 650 242-0080.

Our expertise

  • Market sizing and forecasting
  • Custom market analysis
  • Pricing model and price elasticity analysis
  • Technology and market white papers

News and reports

We regularily publish news and reports that document the changing face of the telecommunications market place.

Find out more >

Who we are

An independent market intelligence firm with the objective to create unbiased, enduring benchmarks for measuring market shares…

Find out more >

Get in touch

Please contact us if you require more information about our services, or would like to discuss your requirements.